Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Book Club :)

Marisa's Book Club: Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott

Ok, ok... Jamie gave me this book for my birthday--last year! :) Honest truth, at first, I wasn't all that into it... which is why I haven't finished it yet. However, after my roommie reunion trip to San Francisco (and receiving another Anne Lamott book from Jamie for this year's birthday), I realized that I really needed to read this book.

AND I LOVED IT!!!

What it's about (from the back of the book, my creativity in describing this book would not do it justice):
Anne Lamott claims the best two prayers she knows are "Help me, help me, help me" and "Thank you, thank you, thank you." Despite--or because of--her irreverence and wit, faith is a natural subject for Lamott. With an exuberant mix of passion, insight, and humor, in Traveling Mercies she takes us on a journey through her often troubled past to illuminate her devout but quirky walk of faith.

A favorite quote:
"...music is about as physical as it gets: your essential rhythm is your heartbeat; your essential sound, the breath. We're walking temples of noise, and when you add tender hearts to this mix, it somehow lets us meet in places we couldn't get to any other way."

Everyone needs to read this book--seriously!

No comments: