Monday, March 20, 2006

Mold, Dust and New Orleans

After a few slow days here in Abbeville, our time has taken a turn to excitement and by excitement, I mean demolition. That's right, they are trusting us to tear apart houses and not mess up (how can you really). It's mostly fun work, however, with my allergies, I've been having a rough time. Basically, I'm living off Benadryl which isn't the most healthy thing I've ever done, but there's really no other options. We work about 10 hour days, still fitting in PT and other fun stuff as needed.

This past weekend, a few of us journeyed over to New Orleans to visit another taem working there (Silver 3). They are living in a tent city just outside of the lower ninth ward. So, I finally got to see with my own eyes the destruction that has been so heavily portrayed by the media. It's bad. It looks like the hurricane just happened, when in reality it's been almost 7 months. Crazy stuff. They are still sending in dogs to look for dead bodies and most of the houses haven't been touched. It's pretty unreal stuff. On the up side, I also was able to go into the French Quarter and experience more beyond Bourban street. We had coffee and beignets at the world famous Cafe du Monde. YUMMY! We were also able to go into Ripley's Museum for a volunteer workers price of only five dollars. They really do appreciate us! :)

Not much else to report. The farm is very peaceful and I'm enjoying the culture down here in Cajun Country.

Grace and Peace.

No comments: