Saturday, December 18, 2004

The Grinch

It's hard not to feel like this when you work in retail:

"That's what it's all about, isn't it? That's what it's always been about! Gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts! You wanna know what happens to your gifts? They all come to me. In your garbage. You see what I'm saying? In your GARBAGE! I could hang myself with all the bad Christmas neckties I found at the dump. And the avarice... THE AVARICE NEVER ENDS! "I want golf clubs. I want diamonds. I want a pony so I can ride it twice, get bored and sell it to make glue!" Look, I don't wanna make waves, but this whole Christmas season is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!" ~How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch

But then I remember this:

"In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, to a virgin named Mary... Gabriel appeared to her and said, 'Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you! ... Don't be frightened, Mary, for God has decided to bless you! You will become pregnant and have a son, and you are to name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. " Luke 1:26-32

It's all about perspective. And speaking of, it makes me think about a beautiful Christmas song that sums up how I feel when I put myself in check about the true meaning of Christmas:

"O Lamb of God, O Prince of Peace
What tribute shall I bring to worship Thee
I have no gold to lay at Your feet
So Lamb of God, I offer me

I bring You all my hopes
I bring You all my dreams
I give You all my soul
My mind and all my strength
I wrap them all inside my heart to give to Thee

Oh come, let us adore Him
Oh come, let us adore Him
Oh come, let us adore Him
Christ, the Lord"

~Lamb of God, Nicole C. Mullen

May the King of Kings, who resides in my heart, constantly be my focus during this holiday season and always.

1 comment:

Jess P said...

It's so refreshing when I'm scanning through random blogs to find someone who is religious. It reminds me that I'm not the only one. Thanks for that!