Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Van Driving 101

Today was spent from 8-5 in the lovely and beautiful Sterrett Hall. Oh so much fun, words cannot describe. It was difficult to stay awake through the presentations about driving 15 passenger vans. Not only because I had heard all the horror stories and rules/regulations before but also because it was really, really, really, really ridiculously hot and stuffy in the hall. Again. It's all about being flexible though. The only really frustrating part of the day was during lunch. Some of my fellow team members and myself were discussing a hot topic and really bonding through our discussion. A team leader came by to inform us that there was going to be an "activity" on the other side of the building and basically made us join the rest of the group. What was this important activity, you may be asking yourself. Well, I'll tell you. A huge game of tag. Now tell me, what was more important in the situation? An intriguing discussion that was developing bonds among team members OR playing tag with 180 people in grass that hadn't been cut in months? If you say the later, please do not respond. :)
At this juncture I would like to take a moment to say how blessed I feel to have a team of people who doesn't willing want to participate in "summer camp" as we fondly refer to things like what happened at lunch. We are, for the most part, fairly enthusiastic and willing to do our part, but we don't have to express ourselves with ridiculous chants, clapping or playing elementary school games. On a side note, I usually don't mind running around like a 5 year old, but there are always times when it seems to be untimely--this was one of those times.
completely changing subjects: P.T. starts bright and early tomorrow morning at 5:30 am. I'm hoping that some of the wind that is being generated by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ophelia dies down by that time. I went for a run last night with a teammate and it felt like I was running the wrong way in a wind tunnel. It was pretty bad. Only time will tell. I do know that they are preparing us for a 5K at the end of training. Good times will be had by all.
Not much else to report besides the FACT that I am beginning to miss people from home. The initial enthusiasm of being in a new place has begun to wane and I am starting to feel a little lonesome. Generally this only happens in the evening when I don't have much going on. So, if you get a call and I just want to hear a familiar voice, please just humor me. Thank you, in advance.
Grace and Peace.

No comments: