Friday, May 26, 2006

Easter Seals Update

So, I have been in Mt. Juliet for a little more than 3 weeks, 3 weeks left. So far I have enjoyed the following activities:
1. Assembling a fish chute for the Annual Fishing Tourney
2. Participating in the Fishing Tourney--it only took me an hour and a half to catch a fish. My camper caught one on his first cast. His participation award was for "Best Casting." :)
3. Files, oh the files.
4. Fixed a printer by merely touching it. True story.
5. Assembled the staff manual--it only took 3 days!
6. KP (kitchen patrol): I've worked in the kitchen during the majority of my time here. Cooking, cleaning, dish washing...so fun. I've actually had a great time with it and I will miss it now that I have to be an official counselor starting Sunday.
7. Spent sometime in Downtown Nashville for Meredith's 23rd Birthday party. It was exhilarating just walking down the street. I'm such a dork.
8. Learned how to canoe properly and how to flip a canoe (and also how to check for leeches--no joke. so gross)
9. Filled my brain to the brim with information and the population I'll be working with over the next three weeks. In case you're wondering, the sessions of camp we will be working are: a. Adults with Developmental Delays b. Children and Adults with Autism and c. Adults with Physical Disabilities.
10. Crying a lot because I'm so homesick. It's really ridiculous how much a miss everyone at home.
The camp we are at is beautiful, can't beat it really. And the summer staff are all wonderful people. Our first couple of sessions has been really great so far, I'm just a little nervous about being a counselor on my own. I know that probably doesn't make sense to you because you're not in the situation, but I'll explain it when I come home in 32 Days!
Until then, I'll try and update as often as I can. No promises. As you can see, it's taken me 3 weeks to post. Last week I worked 89.5 hours. I'm not kidding here folks, it's ridiculous.
Miss you all and love you so much.

*****UPDATE...so I wrote this post last week and I wasn't able to post it for some weird reason. who knows.
I'm at the end of our first session: Adults with Developmental Delays. It has been a doozy. I have two campers, but I'm in a wing with a couple other counselors and campers. We really work as a unit to get things done. I have one camper who is about 250-275 pounds who is in a wheelchair...total care=HARD WORK. If I never have to change a Depends for the rest of my life, I will be so happy. The worst is when she has a BM...and I have plenty of stories to tell about that. On the other hand, she is a very happy person and I've really enjoyed her. She likes to say "I love you" followed by, " Know how much?" and then on a good day/time of day "$400" or if she's not so happy "5 dollars and a quarter/dime." She's kept my laughing also because she'a a big flirt. Last night she pinched one of the boy counselors bottom. It was great. He was a good sport about it.

Gotta run. Rest period is almost over.
LOVE YOU ALL... 28 days until I'm home!!!

Grace and Peace.

No comments: