Saturday, July 23, 2005

Discovery




The countdown will begin Saturday afternoon, with liftoff scheduled for 10:39 a.m. Tuesday.
Discovery's mission would be the first space shuttle flight since its sister ship, Columbia, disintegrated over Texas on February 1, 2003, killing all seven astronauts on board.
Discovery's seven-person crew is led by retired Air Force Col. Eileen Collins, NASA's first female shuttle commander. Over the course of the planned 12-day mission, the crew will test a battery of new tools and techniques NASA engineers developed in the aftermath of Columbia to inspect the spacecraft's heat-resistant exterior tiles for any damage that might have occurred during liftoff.




I hope that everything works out safely this time! ... When I was at KSC in June, they were all really looking forward to the launch. We drove on the road that goes behind Discovery in this picture. It was the coolest. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marisa, I found your site through your vote in a poll I created about youth group leaders for the NCCC. You sound like a really interesting girl and I'm looking forward to meeting you in September! How did you like Florida? Thats where I live.

Marisa said...

I like Florida because of my family that lives there and because of DisneyWorld (and recently now because of KSC)... if it weren't for those things, I don't think I'd care for it quite as much. :) It is very beautiful state, I can't say anything against that!
I look forward to meeting you in September, too... It's so soon!