Saturday, October 22, 2005

Stormy Weather

Two nights ago there was thunder in my backyard. Seriously.

Or at least that's what it sounded like.

At 3:00 am, my roommates and I were awoken by the sound of thunder and our room being lit up by the lightning that proceeded it. It was the loudest thunder I have ever heard in my life. It was a bit on the scary side, I'm not going to lie. At first, I tried to just go back to sleep, but then I realized that everyone else in my room was awake and a bit scared too. We were all on our own air matresses at time and shortly after we woke up, we were all on two. We thought about turning the air off, but we were afraid because it was metal. We also were concerned about the power surges going on and we were convinced that we wouldn't have to wake up in the morning for work because of the storm.

The storm was gone in the morning and we did have to work. Oh well.

The next day, Friday October 21, we found out that we were going to evacuate to Okefenokee Georgia. It's a swamp that is right on the other side of the Florida border. As we were driving there, we got caught in a lot of rain. The bands from Wilma are already affecting northern Florida. That's how big the storm is-- it's HUGE! There was lightning on all sides of us and I was scared. Seriously, I've never seen lightning like I did last night. Luckily I was sitting next to Alena (teammate from Boston) who assured me that we were OK and held my hand through the rest of the ride. Yeah, I know I'm a big dork.

So now we are in a huge swamp that is half the size of Rhode Island. Tomorrow we are going on a Canoe ride for 14 miles and we will most likely see some alligators-- there are a lot around these parts.

I have to admit that even though I've been gone for less than two months, I've done so much that I never would have if I hadn't come to AmeriCorps. Who knew.

Grace and Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Stay strong and know that I love you and am praying for you.

Cassi

Anonymous said...

Hi Marisa:
Sounds like a challenging and exciting time. Keep safe and away from Wilma.
Fr. Gary